Burlington County

Click on the menu above to find more great places to visit in New Jersey!

 


Historic Places

 

Burlington County dates back to 1681, when its court was established in the Province of New Jersey. The county was formed on May 17, 1694, "by the union of the first and second Tenths"

 

Burlington County Historical Society
457 Lawrence Street
Burlington, NJ 08016
609-386-4773

 

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church
Warren Street and Wilmerton Street
Beverly, NJ

The congregation of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church formed in 1837 at the request of forty-four families to Bishop Doane of the Episcopal Diocese of New Jersey for services of the church in the community of Beverly in the township of Willingboro. The first church, a white frame building erected on Copper Street, had an adjacent cemetery that still exists today. When the City of Beverly was incorporated in 1857, St. Stephen's established would become Beverly's first church.

 

Bordentown Clock Tower
Crosswicks Street
Bordentown, NJ 08505

(Photo bt Rc, courtesty of HMdb.org)

Man'f. Seth Thomas Clock Co. 1888
Dedicated to William F. Allen 1846 - 1915
Born in Bordentown and the designer
of Standard Time
1883 William Feaster - Curator

Clara Barton School
Crosswicks St & East Burlington St
Bordentown, NJ 08805

(Photo by Deb Hartshorn, courtesty of HMdb.org)

One of the earliest free schools of New Jersey
established 1852 by Clara Barton, founder
of the American Red Cross.

Richard Watson Gilder House
Crosswicks St & Gilder Park Dr
Bordentown, NJ 08505

(Photo by Deb Hartshorn, courtesty of HMdb.org)

The Gilder House is the cultural centerpiece of Gilder Park.
The Gilder family gave the park to Bordentown City in 1935.
Rodman de Kay Gilder gave the house, which dates back
to the 1700's, and surrounding farm to the City under the
condition that the house would serve as a museum or public
library to the community. The Gilder House is a key component
of the Bordentown Historic District.

Wright House
Farnsworth Ave & Park St
Bordentown, NJ 08505

(Photo by Deb Hartshorn, courtesty of HMdb.org)

Patience Lovell Wright, America's first sculptress
lived here before moving to Great Britain 1772.
Son Joseph noted painter.


Burlington County Courthouse
High Street and Union Street
Mt. Holly, NJ 08060

Built in 1796 (Photo by Bill Coughlin, courtesy of HMdb.org)

John R Slack House
High Street
Mt. Holly, NJ 08060

House of John R. Slack Attorney at Law Circa 1856
(Photo by Deb Hartshorn courtesy of HMdb.org)

Historic Burlington County Prison Museum
High Street and Grant Street
Mt. Holly, NJ 08060

(Photo by Deb Hartshorn courtesy of HMdb.org)

Designed by Robert Mills, one of America's first native-born
and trained architects, the Burlington County Prison was
completed in 1811.

As one of Mills' first independent architectural designs,
the interior vaulted ceilings of poured concrete and the
structure's brick and stone construction made the building
virtually fireproof. Not only was the structure well suited for its
purpose and virtually maintenance free, it also incorporated the
philosophies of penal reform that were advocated during the
period.

In short, this structure was a fine example of innovative interior
planning, fireproofing, heating, and ventilation systems. It also
increased awareness of the growing notion of the social responsibility
to rehabilitate criminals. In fact, it was so well constructed that it
remained in constant use until 1965.

The outside of the prison, including the massive front door with its
large hinges and lock, has changed very little since the building was built.

Shinn-Curtis Log House
Park Drive and Commerce Street
Mt. Holly, NJ 08060

Thomas Shinn Owner Circa 1712
(Photo by Deb Hartshorn courtesy of HMdb.org)


Fire Company
Pine Street and Church Street
Mt. Holly, NJ 08060

(Photo by Deb Hartshorn courtesy of HMdb.org)

Founded in 1752, The Relief Fire Co. is the oldest active
volunteer company in the nation. Fire House Is On Premises

Girard House
Mill Street
Mt. Holly, NJ 08060

(Photo by Bill Coughlin, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Stephen Girard lived here 1777-78. He later became
prominent as a merchant shipowner, financier and philanthropist.

Mansion of John Langstaff
High Street
Mt. Holly, NJ 08060

(Photo by Deb Hartshorn courtesy of HMdb.org)

Mansion of James Langstaff, Farmer 1830. Purchased by
Mount Holly Library - 1957. Chartered by King George III - 1765

Evesham Friends Meeting House
Moorestown - Mt Laurel Road and Hainesport Road
Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054

(Photo by Bill Coughlin, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Oldest Friends Meeting House in Burlington County – Used as
barracks for General Clinton’s troops in June 1778. Built in
1760 addition added in 1798.

General Clinton House
Hainesport-Mt Laurel Road
Mt Laurel, NJ 08054

Oldest portion built by Thomas Smith, Sr. 1738
(Photo by Bill Coughlin, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Paulsdale
Hooten Avenue
Mt Laurel, NJ 08054

(Photo by Deb Hartshorn courtesy of HMdb.org)

The birthplace and family home of Alice Stokes Paul (1885-1977),
20th century international women's rights leader. As founder
of the National Women's Party, Dr. Paul played a central role
in the final struggle for women's suffrage, and authored the
Equal Rights Amendment in 1923 for which she campaigned
until her death.

Benjamin Wilkins House
Jennings Road
Medford, NJ 08055

(Photo by Bill Coughlin, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Built in 1785, this patterned glazed brick homestead
is typical of several Wilkins properties of the period in this area. 1847-1997

Cross Keys School
Mill Street and Enclave Court
Medford, NJ 08055

(Photo by Bill Coughlin, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Built by Lester Gager in 1857 at the corner of Dixontown
Road, the school was moved here by the township in 1976.
Former students called it the “Knowledge Box”.

Ely Hall
N Main Road and Cedar Street
Medford, NJ 08055

(Photo by Bill Coughlin, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Dr. Henry P. Ely built the house about 1844. The mansard
roof was added after a fire in 1893. This 2 and ½ story home
shows fine workmanship both inside and outside the building.

 

First House on Bank Street
Bank Street and Charles Street
Medford, NJ 08055

(Photo by Bill Coughlin, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Jacob Prickett built this home in 1827. Many
windows have early glass. Original corner
fireplaces in the living and dining rooms still
operate efficiently.

First House on Filbert Street
Filbert & Mulberry Street
Medford, NJ 08055

(Photo by Bill Coughlin, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Built in 1842 by Mahlon Reeve, this home was bought
by Everett Mickle in 1955.


"Hessian House"
E. Main Street and Schooley Street
Moorestown, NJ 08057

(Photo by Bill Coughlin, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Oldest portion built by Joshua Bispham Circa 1735.


Roberts' Hall
E. Main Street
Moorestown, NJ 08057

(Photo by Bill Coughlin, courtesy of HMdb.org)
Oldest portion built by Joshua Borton Circa 1800

Owners: Gilbert Page, General Store & PO.
3rd Postmaster   1813 – 1839
Ebenezer Roberts   Late 1800.

Upper Springfield Meeting House and Cemetery
Highland Road and Springfield Meeting House Road
Springfield Township, NJ 08041

(Photo by Deb Hartshorn courtesy of HMdb.org)

The Meeting House, situated at the intersection of two
Indian Trails, is one of the oldest in Burlington County.
Early Quakers worshipped here and are resting in the
Burial Grounds.

 

 

 

 

 

 


Attention NJ shoppers!

Get NJTownGuide.com's VIP savings card and get discounts at participating vendors all over the New Jersey.

NJTownGuide VIP Savings Card 
Own a NJ Business? Get more customers to visit your business! It's FREE! Click Here to Learn More!


 

Copyright © 2011 - 2016 · All Rights Reserved

NJ Town Guide is part of the Giant Impact Group LLC