Hunterdon County

Click on the menu above to find more great places to visit in New Jersey!

 


Historic Places

Hunterdon County was separated from Burlington County on March 22, 1714. At that time Hunterdon County was large, going from Assunpink Creek near Trenton to the New York State line which at that time was about ten miles (16 km) north of Port Jervis, New York. Hunterdon County was named for Robert Hunter, a colonial governor of New Jersey, through a corruption of Hunterston, his former home in England. On March 15, 1739 Morris County was separated from Hunterdon County.

 

Hunterdon County Historical Society
114 Main Street
Flemington NJ 08822
908-782-1091

 

Annandale Reformed Church
Beaver Avenue and Dewey
Annandale, NJ 08801


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Founded in 1861. This church built in 1868
when Annandale was known as Clinton Junction.

 

Jones Tavern
Beaver Avenue
Annandale, NJ 08801


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Established in 1760 by Captain Thomas Jones. During the
Revolution was one of the recruiting stations for the militia
of Hunterdon County.

 

Oak Summit
County Road 519
Baptistown, NJ 08803


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Continental troops camped here in December 1778 while
escorting British and Hessian prisoners to Virginia.
The enemy troops were captured in the Battle of Saratoga.

 

Oak Summit School
Kingswood Road and Oak Summit Road
Baptistown, NJ 08803


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Erected in 1849 at a cost of $400. Used almost continuously
until 1953. Accommodated up to 40 students with one teacher.

 

Old Stone Church
Kingswood Road and Oak Summit Road
Baptistown, NJ 08803


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Now owned by Unitarian-Universalist congregation.
Present church was built in 1837.

 

Bloomsbury Presyterian Church
Church Street and North Street
Bloomsbury, NJ 08804


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Founded in 1857 as a daughter church of the Old Grenwich
Church to the west in Warren County. Building erected in 1858.

 

Califon Methodist Episcopal Church
Raritan River Road
Califon, NJ 07830


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Congregation founded in 1867 in a building moved here
from New Germantown (Oldwick). Present church built in 1891.

 

Bonnell's Tavern
Pittstown Road
Clinton, NJ 08809


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

The first regiment of Minute Men in the colonies formed here
in 1775. Built in 1767 on the main road from New Brunswick
to Easton.

 

Christopher Vought House
Greyrock Road
Clinton, NJ 08809


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Built by Johannes Cristofel Vought in 1759, the house
features unique aspects of Germanic construction.
Vought was the active loyalist leader in his area during
the Revolution.

 

Resting Place of Gen. George W. Taylor
Center Street in front of Clinton Presbyterian Church
Clinton, NJ 08809


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Born in High Bridge in 1808 to the iron-making
family, he lived in Clinton. Hunterdon's only
Civil War general. Killed in 1862 at
Manassas, Va. while leading the 1st NJ Brigade.
Buried west of the church.

 

The Red Mill (Hunterdon Historical Museum)
Main Street
Clinton, NJ 08809


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Red Mill ca. 1810. Processed wool, plaster, grist, talc, graphite.
Once generated electricity. Limestone quarry mined from
early 1800's to 1963. Now home of the Hunterdon County
Historical Museum.

 


Hunterdon Museum of Art

Main Street
Clinton, NJ 08809


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

1837 grist mill ground various products until 1952 when
it became a cultural center. Presents visual arts exhibitions
and education programs.

 

Music Hall
West Main Street
Clinton, NJ 08809


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

1890 structure included 300-seat theater and two offices.
Hosted variety acts in 1880’S, then live touring shows until
1904. Opened briefly in mid-1960’s and 1970’s.

 

Cokesbury Methodist Episcopal Church
Cokesbury Road
Cokesbury, NJ 08833


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

A pure example of Greek Revival architecture, erected
in 1851. Seven other early churches in nearby counties
use this basic design.

 

Fairmount Presbyterian Church
278 Old Turnpike Road
Fairmount, NJ 07830


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Founded in 1727, the congregation was originally German
Reformed. First a log building. A series of larger structures
followed. Present building erected in 1851 and remodeled
in 1902.

 

Flemington Egg Auction
Park Avenue
Flemington, NJ 08822


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

The country’s first, and, at one time, the largest, cooperative
egg auction. Operated here from 1932 until the death of
the egg business in the 1960s.

 

Flemington Railroad Company
Church Street
Flemington, NJ 08822


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Opened 1854. First of town’s three lines connected to the
Bel-Del at Lambertville. Station house c1858.

 

Hunterdon County Holocaust Memorial
Capner Street
Flemington, NJ 08822


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Remember The 6,000,000 who perished during the Nazi
Holocaust 1934-1945

 

Kase Homestead
Route 12 and Mine Street
Flemington, NJ 08822


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Johann Kase purchased land from Penn family 1738.
Built a log cabin with help of Chief Tuccamigan’s tribe.
Stone mansion house built ca. 1798.

 

Purple Heart Memorial
Court Street
Flemington, NJ 08822


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Dedicated to all men and women wounded in all our wars.

 

Reading Home
River Road
Flemington, NJ 08822


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Built in 1760 for John Reading, Governor of
New Jersey 1757 - 1758. Reading served 40 years on
provincial council.

 

South Branch of Central Roadroad
Main Street
Flemington, NJ 08822


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

In 1864 provided Flemington’s second rail line. Passenger
station erected here. A turntable to the west reversed the locomotives.

 

Frenchtown Methodist Episcopal Church
3rd Street
Frenchtown, NJ 08825


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Congregation was formed in 1832 and met in a
room on Bridge Street. This church erected in
1844 and enlarged in 1861.

 

Frenchtown Railroad
Bridge Street
Frenchtown, NJ 08825


(Photo by R.C. courtesy of HMdb.org)

The Belvidere-Delaware Railroad c.1853. Later leased to
the Penn R. R. System, the line allowed transit of
Lehigh & Hudson R. R. passenger trains.

 

Hunt Houses
Hunt Place
Glen Gardner, NJ 08826


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Hunt Family Was Major Benefactor To Glen Gardner
. House Owned By Dr. A. A. Hunt In Late 1700's.
House Across Street Built By His Son, Dr. T. E. Hunt, In 1853.

 

Bethlehem Presbyterian Church
Race Street
Grandin, NJ 08867


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Present building was dedicated in 1871.
Three structures preceded it on the site;
erected in 1730, 1760, and 1830.
Many Continental Army soldiers buried here.

 

Forge Masters Dwelling
Van Syckles Road
Glen Gardner, NJ 08826


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Only remaining building at Union Forge before 1720.
Union Township Historic Site.


Colonel Charles Stewart House
Hamden Road
Hamden, NJ 08801


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Colonel Charles Stewart was George Washington's
Commissary-General of Issues. The house was built in 1763.

 

Captain Jacob Gearhart Farmstead
River Rd
Hamden, NJ 08801

(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Farmstead circa 1765. Captain Jacob Gearhart was a
Revolutionary War patriot who secured boats for Washington's
Crossing and Wintered at Valley Vorge.

 

Smokehouse
River Road
Hamden, NJ 08801


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

c. 1789 Use to cure meat and fish

 

Musconetcong Valley Presbyterian Church
Valley Road
Hampton, NJ 08827


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Congregation organized in 1836 in a New Hampton schoolhouse.
Tent services held here until the building was completed in 1837.

 

St. Ann's Catholic Church
Church Street
Hampton, NJ 08827


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Congregation formed in 1859. Met in a house on John Street
until this church was erected in 1867.

 

Solitude House
River Road
High Bridge, NJ 08829


(Photo by William Honachefsky Jr., courtesy of HMdb.org)

Patriots imprisoned loyalist Pennsylvania
Governor John Penn and Crown Supreme
Court Justice Benjamin Chew here during the
Revolutionary War. They named the place “Solitude.”

T.I.S.C.O. Complex
Washington Avenue
High Bridge, NJ 08829


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Taylor Iron & Steel Company Was the center of the original
1742 Union Iron Works. Late 1800's push to rename
High Bridge to "Tisco" failed.

 

 

Volendam Windmill
Adamic Hill Road
Holland Township, NJ 08848


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Authentic replica of wind-driven mill used for
grinding grain into flour.

 

 

Kingwood Methodist Episcopal Church
Kingwood-Stockton Road
Kingwood, NJ 08559


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Founded 1816, the first Methodist Church in Hunterdon County.
Building erected in 1860. Steeple removed in 1878 after a severe storm.

 

Kingwood Tavern
Kingwood and Byram Road
Kingwood, NJ 08559


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

A log tavern on this site ca. 1764 offered shelter to travellers
on the King’s Hwy. Later tavern ca. 1790 known for years as Johnson’s.

 

George Coryell Grave Site
North Union Street and Church Street
Lambertville, NJ 08530


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Revolutionary War Lieutenant, and pallbearer of
George Washington is buried here, along with
Sam Holcombe, one of Gen. Washington's spies.

 

Lambertville Railroad
Bridge Street and Station Court
Lambertville, NJ 08530


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

The Belvidere-Delaware Railroad c.1851. Later leased
to the Penn R.R. System, the line allowed transit of
Lehigh & Hudson R.R. passenger trains.

 

Lebanon Reformed Church
Brunswick Avenue
Lebanon, NJ 08833


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Congregation formed in 1747. This building erected in
1854, preceded by a log structure, a frame building, and
a brick church.

 

Linvale Methodist Episcopal Church
Route 31 and Linvale Road
Linvale, NJ 08530


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Congregation formed in 1844. Church built in 1858.
Hamlet was then called New Market.

 

Locktown Baptist Church
Locktown Sergantvile Road and Locktown School Road
Locktown, NJ 08822


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Congregation organized in 1742 in Baptistown.
A log cabin & a later frame church preceded this 1819 building.

 

Alexandria Presbyterian Church
Mt Pleasant-Everittstown Road
Mount Pleasant, NJ 08848


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Congregation was formed c1752. Original log structure
replaced in 1802. Present Greek Revival Church built in 1843.

 

Mountainville Post
Water Street and Rockaway Road
Mountainville, NJ 08833


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Established in 1880 by the Farley family, the Post stayed
in the family for 100 years. It has served as Post Office,
General Store and focal point for the Village of Mountainville.

 

Van Syckles Tavern
Charlestown Road and Van Sickles Road
Norton, NJ 08827


(Photo by William Honachefsky Jr, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Est. 1763 Served Workers from Union Forge. David Reynolds
Owner and Builder. Hanged in 1765 by the British
for Counterfeiting

 

Bethlehem Baptist Church
Frontage Road and Baptist Church Road
Pattenburg, NJ 08827


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Congregation was formed in 1837. Church built same year
on the Brunswick-Easton Turnpike (now Rt. 78).
Abandoned in 1906.

 

Pattenburg United Methodist Church
Main Street
Pattenburg, NJ 08827


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Church was built in 1853 although worship services
were conducted in local homes and barns from 1840.

 

Perryville Tavern
Perryville Road
Perryville, NJ 08827


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Built in 1813. Named in honor of Admiral Perry’s Lake Erie
victory. Later called Brick Tavern. In 1969 moved from
Rt. 78 site to this location.

 

Century Inn
Route 579
Pittstown, NJ 08867


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Commissioner General Moore Furman supervised bakery
near here for George Washington’s troops. Later he built
this stone inn in 1800. Building renovated in 2001.

 

Mechlin's Tavern
Mechlin Corner Road and Bloomsbury Road
Pittstown, NJ 08867


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Tavern lot purchased by J. Robeson in 1752 from the
“Great Society.” Tavern and farm were in Mechlin’s family
ownership from 1810 to 1934.

 

Rockhill Property
Route 513
Pittstown, NJ 08867


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

John Rockhill Hunterdon County's first physician 1743 .

 

Stone Mill
Route 579
Pittstown, NJ 08867


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Built by Moore Furman, Deputy Quartermaster General of Washington’s army.

 

Quaker Meeting House
Route 579
Quakertown, NJ 08868


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Site acquired by Quakers in 1733. Present meeting house
rebuilt with original stone in 1862.

 

Quakertown Methodist Episcopal Church
Croton Road
Quakertown, NJ 08868


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Organized in 1835. First church was built on this site in 1840.
This Queen Anne Style structure erected in 1878.

 

Saxtonville Tavern
Daniel Bray Highway
Raven Rock, NJ 08559


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Circa 1782, Center of village called Saxtonville until 1850
when it was renamed Bull’s Island Station.

 

Readington Church
Readington Road
Readington, NJ 08870


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Established in 1719 in North Branch.
Moved to Readington 1738. Oldest Dutch
Reformed Church in Hunterdon. Present building
circa 1864.

 

Academy af Arts & Science
Larison Lane
Ringoes, NJ 08551


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Conducted 1876-1909 by Dr. Conrnelius Larison.
Also publishing house for his “Fonic Speling Wurks in
Orthoepy.” His old home lies to the east.

 

Landis House
Old York Road
Ringoes, NJ 08551


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Built 1750 by Henry Landis. Lafayette stayed here while a
patient of Dr. Gershom Craven.

 

Old Rocks Church
Mt. Airy - Harbourton Road
Rocktown, NJ 08530


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Now non-denominational, this church was organized by
Methodists in 1774 & built in 1843.

 

Sandy Ridge Baptist Church
Sandy Ridge Road and Sandy Ridge - Mt Airy Road
Sergeantsville, NJ 08557


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

First church built in 1818. This building erected 1866.
Early ministers served in Flemington on Sunday, here
on weekdays.

 

Sergeantsville First Brethren Church
Rosemont - Ringoes Road
Sergeantsville, NJ 08557


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Founded in 1898. Building constructed the same year.
Its Gothic Revival style is unique in Hunterdon County.

 

Stanton Reformed Church
Stanton Road and Stanton Mountain Road
Stanton, NJ 08885


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Originally called “The Dutch Reformed Church of Mt. Pleasant.”
First building erected 1834. Name of village changed to
Stanton in 1849.

 

Triple Arch Stone Bridge
Old Turnpike Road
Stephensburg, NJ 07865


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

The only bridge of this design in Hunterdon County.
It spans the Musconetcong River and joins Hunterdon
to Warren County. Also known as Wydner Farm Bridge.

 

Stockton Railroad
Bridge Street and Railroad Avenue
Stockton, NJ 08559


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

The Belvidere-Delaware Railroad c.1852. Later leased to
the Penn R.R. System, the line allowed transit of
Lehigh & Hudson R.R. passenger trains.

 

Stockton School
South Main Street
Stockton, NJ 08559


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

The oldest and smallest N.J. Public Schoolhouse still in use.
This 1872 structure replaced an 1832 octagonal building.

 

West Portal Methodist Church
Tunnel Road
West Portal, NJ 08802


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Built in 1849, remodeled in 1876. Earlier, the congregation
met in a nearby private home.

 

General Store
Hill Road and Woodglen Road
Woodglen, NJ 08826


(Photo by Alan Edelson courtesy of HMdb.org)

Opened here in the mid-1800s in “Whitehall” -- later known
as “Iron Dale” and now “Woodglen.” Typical of its kind,
and one of the few still in business.

 

 


 


Attention NJ shoppers!

Get NJTownGuide.com's VIP savings card and get discounts at participating vendors all over the New Jersey.

NJTownGuide VIP Savings Card 
Own a NJ Business? Get more customers to visit your business! It's FREE! Click Here to Learn More!


 

Copyright © 2011 - 2016 · All Rights Reserved

NJ Town Guide is part of the Giant Impact Group LLC