Union County

Click on the menu above to find more great places to visit in New Jersey!

 


Historic Places

 

Abraham Clark House
West Ninth Avenue and Chestnut Street
Roselle, NJ 07203

Home of Abraham Clark, 1726 – 1794, a signer of the Declaration of Independence
from New Jersey. He lived on this site during the formative period of the republic.

Belcher-Ogden Mansion
East Jersey Street and Catherine Street
Elizabeth, NJ 07201

The Belcher Ogden Mansion was the 1750s residence of Governor Jonathan Belcher (1682-1757) of New Jersey, who brought the royal colony’s government to this house. Belcher also sponsored the College of New Jersey which became Princeton University and gave his library of over 400 books to that institution. Subsequent owners entertained George Washington, Alexander Hamilton and the Marquis de Lafayette here. In 1812 the resident owner, Aaron Ogden (1756-1839), was elected New Jersey Governor.

Boxwood Hall
East Jersey Street
Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Samuel Woodruff, Elizabethtown mayor, built Boxwood Hall about 1750. From 1772 to 1795 it was the home of Elias Boudinot (1740-1821), who served his as president of the Continental Congress after the colonies signed a peace treaty with England, ending the Revolutionary War. In 1789 George Washington took lunch here on his way to Manhattan to be sworn in as the United States’ first president. Jonathan Dayton (1760-1824), a signer of the Constitution and later U.S. Senator from New Jersey lived here from 1795 to 1824.

Caldwell's Home
Caldwell Avenue
Union, NJ 07083

Site of Parsonage used by James Caldwell family. Burned by British in 1780.
Mrs. Caldwell was killed by a British soldier. Reverend James Caldwell
and his wife Hannah moved to this site after his church in Elizabethtown was burned by the British army on Jan. 25, 1780. Caldwell was Chaplain of the N.J. Brigade.

 

Cannonball House - Hutching House
Morris Avenue
Springfield, NJ 07081

The Hutching House is called the Cannonball House because it was hit by cannon fire during the Battle of Springfield. It was one of only four houses in Springfield not burned by the retreating British. Farmstead and dwelling built about 1740. Cannonball pierced the west wall during the Battle of Springfield, June 23, 1780.

Connecticut Farms Presbyterian Church
Stuyvesant Avenue and Chestnut Street
Union, NJ 07083

Here stood the Presbyterian Church and here was fought the battle, June 7, 1780, between American forces under Gen. Maxwell and Col. Dayton and the British army on its advance to Springfield. The church and village were burned by the British during their retreat. June 23, 1780, the British second advance here formed into two columns and moved to Springfield, where they were repulsed.


Elizabeth Presbyterian Church
Broad Street
Elizabeth, NJ 07201

This church was organized about 1664. The edifice which stood on this spot was burned by the British, January 25, 1780, during the Pastorate of Rev. James Caldwell, Chaplain in the New Jersey Brigade under Washington. This building was completed in 1789. Thirty-six commissioned officers and many non-commissioned officers and privates from the congregation fought during the Revolution for American Independence.

 

First Presbyterian Church of Springfield
Morris Avenue and Church Mall
Springfield, NJ 07081

Site of Church used as storehouse in Revolution. Destroyed by British in
Battle of Springfield. Present church built 1791.

First Site of Princeton Univeristy
Broad Street and Caldwell Place
Elizabeth, NJ 07201

The first site of Princeton University incorporated Oct 22, 1746.

Frazee Homestead
Raritan Road
Scotch Plains, NJ 07076

Circa 1750 “Frazee Homestead” . British General Cornwallis stopped to ask for bread during the battle of Short Hills, June 26, 1777, and was marked by Betty Frazee’s famous statement “I give you this in fear, not in love.”

Liberty Hall
Morris Avenue
Union, NJ 07083

Built in 1772 by William Livingston, later a patriot leader, governor of New
Jersey, 1776-90, Member of Constitutional Convention. On June 7, 1780 about 5000
British and Hessian troops invaded Connecticut Farms (now Union Township). They
stopped at Governor Livingston’s home located at this site.

Merchants and Drovers Tavern
St Georges Avenue
Rahway, NJ 07065

This Tavern, built in 1780, also served as an Inn and a stagecoach stop. George Washington passed through Rahway on April 23, 1789, on his way to his inauguration in New York. While here, he was entertained in this tavern by "Gentlemen of the Town."


Stage House Inn
Front Street
Scotch Plains, NJ 07076

Center section built, 1737, became an inn during stage coach days. Enlarged in early 19th century for summer boarders.

Summit Opera House
2 Kent Blvd
Summit, NJ 07901

The building on this site was designed in 1893 for the Women's Temperance Union by architect Theodore Mead, Jr. In return for title to the property, Civil War veteran Joel G. Van Cise completed the construction and provided the W.C.T.U. with a local headquarters. He also used the site as a rostrum when he ran for U.S. President on the Prohibition Party ticket.

Terrill Tavern
Westfield Avenue and St Georges Avenue
Rahway, NJ 07065

The Abraham Terrill Tavern served travelers in colonial times. At that time, St Georges Avenue was known as the King's Highway or County Road to Elizabethtown, and was along a primary route between Philadelphia and New York.

Westfield Church
East Broad Street
Westfield, NJ 07090

Congregation organized in 1727. Second church was site of trial of Parson
Caldwell’s killer. Present church dedicated in 1862.

 

 

 


 


Attention NJ shoppers!

Get NJTownGuide.com's VIP savings card and get discounts at participating vendors all over the New Jersey.

NJTownGuide VIP Savings Card 
Own a NJ Business? Get more customers to visit your business! It's FREE! Click Here to Learn More!


 

Copyright © 2011 - 2016 · All Rights Reserved

NJ Town Guide is part of the Giant Impact Group LLC