Warren County

Click on the menu above to find more great places to visit in New Jersey!

 


Historic Places

 

 

Warren County came into existence in 1825 when an act of the New Jersey Legislature, passed on Nov. 20, 1824, took effect and separated the area from Sussex County. The county was named in honor of Dr. Joseph Warren who, although he had no known association with the area, earned a heroic reputation throughout the original 13 states for his devotion to the revolutionary cause, which led to his death in the battle of Bunker Hill. During the Revolutionary War, a large majority of the 13,000 colonists who lived in Sussex (and what is now Warren) supported the patriotic cause. Sussex was among three New Jersey counties commended by the Provincial Congress in 1775 for "spirited exertions" in raising minutemen for the fight for independence.

The county originally had the townships of Greenwich, Hardwick, Independence, Knowlton, Mansfield, Oxford and Pahaquarry, from which the present 22 municipalities were carved. The Town of Belvidere was chosen as the county seat, a decision that was considerably influenced by the action of General Garrett D. Wall, who donated grounds for a county courthouse and public square in Belvidere.

 

 

Warren County Cultural and Heritage Commision
The Shippen Manor Museum
8 Belvidere Avenue
Oxford, NJ 07863

Warren County Historical Society
313 Mansfield Street 
Belvidere, NJ 07823
908-475-4246

Dale Estate
South Main Street
Phillipsburg, NJ 08865

(Photo by Alan Edelson, courtesy of HMdb.org)

William Dale, railroad overseer purchased this land from
Bel-Del Railroad in 1861. The original home to rear, 
overlooked the railroad turntable, so Dale could view his 
workers. This home has 18 rooms. Later, home and dental 
office of Dr. Harry Souders and son for 70 years.

First Presbyterian Church of Oxford
Brass Castle Road
Hazen, NJ 07863

(Photo by Alan Edelson, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Built in 1806, it is the oldest Presbyterian Church in Warren County


Lander-Stewart Mansion
South Main Street
Phillipsburg, NJ 08865

(Photo by Alan Edelson, courtesy of HMdb.org)

The town's only brownstone, built in grandeous manner to
resemble those of East Side Manhattan. Exotic woods, marble,
tile and glass brought back from Stewart's European travels
line its interior. The front doors are hand carved cypress
from Lebanon. First floor office later housed Phillipsburg
Telephone Company in the 1930's.

Presybterian Manse
South Main Street
Phillipsburg, NJ 08865

(Photo by Alan Edelson, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Constructed as a home for clergy (Rev. Townsend) for the
Phillipsburg Presbyterian Church in 1858; a magnificent
stone structure then located at "Main and Market Streets". 

The Manse was sold to attorney John F. Dumont in 1883 
and has been used primarily as law offices since. It was 
the last office of Hon. Frank S. Thompson, Esq.,
NJ Assemblyman (1942) and State Committeeman (1952).

S.A. Comstock Building
South Main Street
Phillipsburg, NJ 08865

(Photo by Alan Edelson, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Built in 1860. The Comstock Family owned many properties,
including this, which was first used as a boarding house,
and the famous Lee House, located at Union Square (Wardell site).

This building was later used and purchased by the Malaska
Council, a once powerful social club of mostly foundry workers.
Note "Fist & Hammer" insignia above. In its "heyday" 1880's,
there were 27 societies in town.

Shippen Manor
Belvidere Avenue
Oxford, NJ 07863

(Photo by Alan Edelson, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Built by Joseph and Wm. Shippen, owners of Oxford Furnace.
Served as iron company residence for 200 years. 
A state and national historic site.


Stites-Lander Townhouse
South Main Street
Phillipsburg, NJ 08865

(Photo by Alan Edelson, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Originally occupied by William Stites, Phillipsburg tailor.
Later the home of prominent resident John Lander (b.1798-1889)
who was co-founder of the Warren Iron Foundry (1856)
and the Town Postmaster. Hailed"the oldest living postmaster"
in 1882. This Federal-style townhouse was remodeled (1875)
in Italianate grandeur. Last law office of State Sen. Wayne Dumont.

Stites-Thomas Store
South Main Street
Phillipsburg, NJ 08865

(Photo by Alan Edelson, courtesy of HMdb.org)
First built as a grain sale and transfer station from the 
Morris to Lehigh Canal. Horse drawn trailers were driven
into the store for grain loading. The grain was then put on
canal boats and transported up the Lehigh. In the 1870's
it was used as a carriage shop. Note still today the sidewalk
remains curbless, reminiscent of easy access for both horse,
trailer and carriage.


The Old Mill
Main Street
Blairstown, NJ 07825

(Photo by Alan Edelson, courtesy of HMdb.org)
Acquired by Blair Academy in 1903 Blair Lake & The Falls
completed in 1906. The Old Mill and other sites at Blair
Academy have been placed on the State and National
Register of Historic Places by the United States Department
of the Interior.


Oxford Historic District House #3 - Grist Mill (Colonial Methodist Church)
Washington Avenue
Oxford, NJ 07863

(Photo by Alan Edelson, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Grist Mill built in 1813, Became the Colonial Methodist 
Church in 1913.


Oxford Historic District House #4 - Oxford Furnace 1
Washington Avenue
Oxford, NJ 07863
|
(Photo by Alan Edelson, courtesy of HMdb.org)
Oxford Furnace #1 construction started in 1741, first blast
in 1743, blown out in 1884.


Oxford Historic District House #5 - Foundry
Washington Avenue
Oxford, NJ 07863

(Photo by Alan Edelson, courtesy of HMdb.org)
Foundry produced train car wheels in the mid 1800s.


Warren County Court House
2nd Street
Belvidere, NJ 07823

(Photo by Alan Edelson, courtesy of HMdb.org)

Built in 1826. Location of early sensational trials
and public hangings. Its present colonial
appearance retained in 1959-1960 restoration.

 

 


 


Attention NJ shoppers!

Get NJTownGuide.com's VIP savings card and get discounts at participating vendors all over the New Jersey.

NJTownGuide VIP Savings Card 
Own a NJ Business? Get more customers to visit your business! It's FREE! Click Here to Learn More!


 

Copyright © 2011 - 2016 · All Rights Reserved

NJ Town Guide is part of the Giant Impact Group LLC